by Tyler Urich
July 19, 2011
North Sentral Kossuth High School Band
Grade Information Sheet
Students will receive a letter grade for participating in band. Students will receive grades in several areas as noted below.
Daily/Participation..........................................4 Points per Day
Students earn up to 4 points per day for each day of class. Points are awarded for following proper rehearsal etiquette (no talking, no chewing gum, correct posture, etc.) and for appropriate effort during the rehearsal.
Band Lessons............................................20 Points Per Lesson
Students are scheduled for individual or group band lessons. These lessons are scheduled out of students’ study halls whenever possible. When not possible, lessons will be scheduled either before or after school or during homeroom. Students earn up to 20 points for each voice lesson. Points are awarded based upon the student’s effort and/or progress.
Concerts/Performances.....................100 Points per Performance
Students may earn up to 100 points for each concert or other large group performance. All students are expected to perform with the band. Proper concert etiquette and procedure is expected of all participants. Please check your schedules EARLY so there are NO CONFLICTS with the performance schedule.
Quizzes/Evaluations/Misc. Assignments................Points Vary
Written quizzes, evaluations, and other miscellaneous assignments may be given throughout the year. The number of points possible will vary dependant upon the level of activity and the difficulty. For instance, a post-concert evaluation may be worth more points than a terminology quiz.
Opportunities for makeup work and extra credit will be provided for.
To receive credit for band lessons missed, make arrangements to make them up out of your study hall or before or after school. Band lessons MUST be made up BEFORE the next regularly scheduled lesson. After that time, the lesson score will remain a "zero." Missed lesson will earn a maximum of 16 points.
Outside Concert Attendance
Students may earn up to 4 points per outside concert attended. Concerts attended must by a high school level instrumental ensemble, a collegiate level instrumental ensemble, or a professional instrumental ensemble. Elementary and/or junior high concerts DO NOT count. Students must provide proof of attendance by providing a program or ticket stub from the performance. The student must also complete a performance evaluation form (available on the NSK web site). Both the program or ticket stub and evaluation form MUST be turned in to Mr. Urich WITHIN THREE (3) WEEKS of the date printed on the program or stub in order to receive credit. This can be completed at any time during the quarter.
Students are expected to be in class on time. Students must be in their seats with their folders by the time the second bell rings. Any student that does not adhere to this will receive an unexcused tardy. The tardy policy for the NSK Music Department is as follows:
- The first unexcused tardy will result in a verbal warning.
- The second unexcused tardy will result in a verbal warning.
- The third unexcused tardy will result in a 20 minute detention
- Each subsequent tardy will result in a 30 minute detention.
Being a member of the band is being a member of a team. We must all work together to accomplish our goals. Teamwork take much effort, and includes cooperation, courtesy, and commitment. Everyone has a responsibility to the group. These responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Show respect for the director, other members or the ensemble, and yourself.
- Show respect for the band room, the equipment, and the music.
- Be on time to all rehearsals.
- Be prepared with music folder and in your seat when it is time for class to begin.
- Put forth your best effort every day with a positive attitude.
- Be responsible for all classroom materials including written work, hand outs, permission slips, band uniforms, etc.
- ABSOLUTLEY NO FOOD OR GUM IN CLASS!
Attendance is required at all performances! Performance dates are listed here and will be announced in class. An ensemble depends on all of its members. All students are expected to fulfill their responsibility to this ensemble. Performances are the culmination of the classroom learning! They are an important assessment and a significant part of your grade. You must let Mr. Urich know if you will not be able to participate in a performance as soon as possible. Excused absences are rare, but extenuating circumstances do happen and will be considered on an individual basis. Family vacations, work, birthdays, visiting relatives, too much homework and "I don't have a ride" are NOT valid excuses for missing performances. Please plan ahead!
- All concerts listed in bold are MANDATORY.
- All members should have their eyes on Mr. Urich at all times during the concert, even if a member's section is not playing.
- The only time it is acceptable to not be looking at Mr. Urich during a concert is between pieces. During this time, members of the choir should be looking around to acknowledge the audience with very large smiles on every face.
- There will be absolutely NO DISTRACTIONS from members during concerts. this includes things like talking, laughing, etc.
- Be on time for all performance. This will usually mean 30 minutes before a concert is set to begin. Call times may vary by concert.
- Wear appropriate attire.
- Demonstrate proper concert etiquette both as a performer and as an audience member.
- Always do your best!
Band members will be provided a uniform for marching band. Students will be responsible for proper care of their uniform and garment bag. Incoming freshman are responsible for purchasing a pair of marching shoes (available from Mr. Urich).
- Black dress pants and black socks.
- Black dress shoes—MUST BE CLOSED TOE.
- White dress shirt.
- Black dress pants and black socks
- Black dress shoes.
- White dress shirt and tie.
Grades are based upon percentages of the number of points possible.
F 59% and below